How to get a Leg Up on the Competition
In a super competitive and saturated market, what makes you different and better than anyone else in your industry?
- Do you know?
- Can you communicate it?
- Can you deliver on it?
Converting ‘Who You Are’ into the greatest value-add for you and your team in the marketspace isn’t an easy task. Most people never get there. The reason they don’t get there is they fail to do the groundwork necessary to unearth for themselves the truths regarding their performance DNA. They neglect getting clear on things like their real power traits, top skills, real talents, core human needs, success zones, and a slew of other components to their Performance DNA. Whether you are a sales person on a corporate team, C Level Executive, Realtor, or any Entrepreneur, gaining hyper clarity on these things is paramount to your long-term success and happiness. Wouldn’t you like to know why there are some things you really love to do, and excel at, and why other areas you don’t? Wouldn’t it be great to be able to set up your approach to maximize workloads or projects that align with your enjoyment? Most importantly, wouldn’t we all be better off if we knew exactly how to communicate and offer our services/business/offerings in a way that was mega-successful? Of course!
Let me give you an example. Most of the time when clients come to me I take them through a series of basic questions. I ask things like, what made you decide to get into your line of work? What do you enjoy about what you do? What makes you different and better than anyone else in your industry (what sets you apart)? Then I do some very fundamental exercises with them around some traits, skills, etc. 99% of the time the new client is super clear on why they moved away from a certain line of work or company but not as clear on why they selected the new one. They are crystal clear on their deficiency in skills, talents, or experience but they are foggy when it comes to what they are bringing to the table and how to leverage it. And then due to all that haziness they cannot get clear on what their value add is and how to communicate that affectively. Now think about this, if you can’t communicate it to yourself clearly how in God’s name are you going to communicate it to others via social, in person or other marketing avenues?
I will go back to one of my earlier statement, “Converting ‘Who You Are’ into the greatest value-add for you and your team in the marketspace isn’t an easy task. Most people never get there.”
Here are some tips on how to excavate some power points about yourself:
- Perform a real skills assessment on yourself: List out all the skills you have. Be courteous with yourself here. Give yourself permission to take credit for some areas. You should walk away with a list of numerous skills you possess. Once you have the entire list pick 5 that you love about yourself the most.
- Conduct a traits assessment on yourself: List all the traits you possess. Again, be courteous and authentic with the selection. Don’t over think this just put them down and go with it. After you are done with the entire list select your top 5. These should again be the ones you are most proud of and make you feel the most powerful.
- Identify your core human needs: It’s said that all of us have 5-6 core human needs. These are the reason we do all the things we do. For more information on this check out this article on them. At the end you should have a much better understanding of how you tick.
Warning! Things to look out for:
- Copycatting– most people look around and try to copy what others they “like” are doing. Although there isn’t anything wrong with admiring someone else’s approach, you need to be cautious that their style and approach match your authentic one. Look at the mechanics of what they do not the clothing they are putting on it. Gary Vee was on this topic the other day. He said, “Don’t listen to what I am saying. Watch what I am doing”.
These are some great starting points. Truth is, you may be in the wrong job, company or line of business for how you are built. It’s ok but wouldn’t you like to know and find what you are built for? You may discover that you are in the correct business but you just need to gain clarity on how you can bring your most powerful version to market.
In my one-on-one customized program we explore creating and launching You Inc, a company dedicated to doing what you love, and loving what you do; because you are the company, and the company is you. This cocreation is designed to assist you and/or your employees in firming up your most powerful differentiating factor and You Inc.’s premier service product, YOU.
I truly believe that just like every product out there, you are designed uniquely to solve a special problem, to be a special answer, to make a special impact and to leave a special mark on your world. There are problems existing in the world today that only you and your company can solve, because only you have the talents, skills, resources, and performance DNA for it.
- Wouldn’t it be nice to know what those are, and how to offer your services or solutions?
- Wouldn’t it be nice to know your company and product so well that there is zero doubt of how effective it can be for someone?
- Don’t you want to show the world what you’re made of and make your mark, aka build your personal brand?
Of course, you do! The reason most people don’t is because they never invest the time and energy necessary to discover who they are, what they have to offer, how to communicate it and how to monetize it in the business sector.
- Who Are You? Discovering a strong identity.
- Effective & Authentic Communication
- Marketing & Selling Yourself
- Broadcasting Your Message
- Work for it. The Art of Hustling.
- Launching YOU INC.
By the time you are finished you will be able to:
- Understand you WHY
- Act clearly and authentically based on WHO YOU ARE
- Communicate Your value-add
- Define your market strategy and target audience
- Have a plan of attack that is SMART
- Possess a self accountably structure
- Understand your social media and online marketing voice.
…….and much more
In today’s very loud and competitive world it’s imperative that your voice be heard but for it to be heard it has to be authentic to ‘Who You Are’. That’s when you are most powerful. I would love to hear from you and offer a free session to talk click here to sign up.